We receive requests from groups who would like to perform a few hours of volunteer service as part of a class requirement or club service project. There are a number of ways you can assist the animals and staff at Nassau Humane Society. A few projects are available at the shelter that do not involve direct contact with the animals, and are only available on an as-needed basis.
We can work with Boy Scouts earning their Eagle Award and Girl Scouts earning their Gold Award to design a project that fits their requirements.
Service Project Suggestions
If we cannot schedule an activity at the shelter, here are additional ways that you can help outside of the shelter:
- Organize a supply drive – request a copy of our wish list and organize your own drive to collect toys, towels, food and much more in your own community. Create a marked container and place it in a high-traffic area for people to see.
- Organize a fundraiser – hold a bake sale, car wash or carnival and collect donations for the Nassau Humane Society. Distribute information about the shelter at your event to help educate the public.
- Organize an animal awareness week – a school or community-wide animal awareness week will help get the message of kindness to animals heard. Visit the Nassau Humane Society ahead of time to gather materials to hand out.
- Get the community involved – ask local businesses to spread the word about caring for animals. Organize a dog wash in your community and ask for donations or sponsorship.
- Give out information – man a table at school or in front of the supermarket. Ask the community to support responsible pet ownership and consider a donation of change or supplies to help the animals. Distribute information about the wonderful animals available for adoption at local shelters.
- Volunteer – volunteer your time at a local animal organization. We – and others – can use the help!
For questions or more information, contact us at 904.321.1647.